[Dixielandjazz] Job Offer

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Wed Aug 27 11:38:00 PDT 2014

Regarding the request to play for free, and my response, Charlie Suhor wrote:

Marvelous! It's in character that the language of the hirer's (read: exploiter's) response is so manipulative, saying that the "payment" (!) is in the form of trade.

On the other hand, the Director is just trying to do his job as directed in society widely driven by such obfuscation.

Charlie, I realize that the gentleman is just doing his job. Several years ago we had a huge discussion here on the list regarding these sorts of requests to play for free. At that time I had sent a rather scathing answer to the person who had asked for a band to play for free. It was pointed out to me that the gentleman was just doing his job, trying to work within his budget on a minor league team.

Thus this time I tried to be businesslike, using the word work instead of play and trying not to be insulting. After all, it never does any good to insult a potential future client.

-Bob Ringwald