[Dixielandjazz] Chord Question in "Louisiana"

Phil Wilking arnold.wilking at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 26 14:56:41 PDT 2014

If going through the Bb7 sounds better to you, play it that way unless it clashes badly with the melody as your band plays it. This is a once popular tune played by a jazz band, not something by Beethoven or J. S. Bach played by a symphony orchestra (and even they had many revisions in their manuscript scores).

Something else to try is playing the first measure (or part of it) of the Eb7 as an Eb9 chord to continue the emphasis of the F tone while changing the underlying harmony.

Phil Wilking