[Dixielandjazz] Capital Focus Jazz Band

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Mon Aug 25 09:39:30 PDT 2014

In July of 2011, Don Robertson (DJML member) brought his group, Capital
Focus Jazz band, through Madrid.  It is a group formed of young people
around the age of 15.  They played at a local club in between our sets, and
of course joined with our band, also.

Travelling with them was a young clarinetist who I noted at the time was
very good.  He dropped by last nite, this time on his own and of course that
much older & that much better.  Fine clarinetist.  I threw some hard tunes
at him, with some pretty strange endings...he caught them all!  Good ear.

His name is Ricky.  Perhaps Don can add in his last name & how he can be
reached, in case anyone is looking for a very nice guy and a good clarinet
for their band in the New York area?

He did all the right things for a sit in...contacted me by email before,
shook hands with all the members of our band (really, many don't speak to
any others than just me...as though the others don't exist!), noted how many
choruses we normally did & stuck to that, and was generally very enjoyable
to have on stage.  I'd say that Don is doing a very good job with those
young people.

Jim