[Dixielandjazz] Labels

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Thu Aug 7 15:10:05 PDT 2014

Many years ago, George H. Buck's Jazzology label was "devoted to authentic
jazz in the Chicago style," whereas GHB was "devoted to the New Orleans
style."
The other day I was listening to the Blue Five from Vienna on GHB.  "Shold
I" sounded so Goodmanesque!  As anybody following my emails should know, I
am still His late Majesty's loyal subject, so it's OK with me, but why
GHB?  Some of the material is indeed identifies with the style, but most of
the music ia hardly "New Orleans," certainly not the George Lewis style.
This renders the label meaningless.
Strangwly, the same day I listened to Dick Wellstood's "...From Dixie to
Swing," in the notes to which he says the same thing.  Most musicians on
that trecord are swing era musicians, with two "revivalists" - Wellstood
and Kenny Davern.
Cheers