[Dixielandjazz] "Fuzzy" Knight, 1928 MGM Short

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Mon Apr 28 16:09:35 PDT 2014

Joan McGinnis wrote regarding Fuzzy Knight:

How sad to have an unmarked grave.  No one cared enough to give him a plaque?  I recognize him from his photo.  It was amazing to hear scat in 1929!  I often wondered when and where it began!

Joan,

Scat or scat singing certainly did not start in 1929. The legend has it that it started during a recording session with Louis Armstrong when the music fell off of the music stand while he was singing.

While that may have happened, I suspect musicians were scatting long before then.

However, I am sure some of our learned list members can give you a more definitive answer.

-Bob Ringwald