[Dixielandjazz] OKOM in New Orleans

domitype . domitype at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 13:07:46 PDT 2014

DJML Digest readers - please remember to trim your replies! (Select and
Delete all of the text that is not needed in your reply.)

As to finding high quality Trad in New Orleans, I still recommend The
Spotted Cat on Frenchmen Street (just outside the Quarter.) The variety of
young(ish) musicians playing very traditional, yet energetic early Jazz and
Blues styles is well worth the primitive conditions and limited bar. It can
get quite crowded, and the audience is not always quietly listening, but in
general it is my current "go-to" nightspot in NOLA.

Sitting in (in some clubs) can happen if you have made good introductions
beforehand, or maybe played with the Spotted Cat groups when they do
daylight performances on Royal Street. Fritzel's in the French Quarter is
also a likely spot for sitting in, especially with foreign trad players -
but get to know the band first!

Dave Richoux