[Dixielandjazz] Greatest Trombone Solo

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Tue Apr 22 11:06:34 PDT 2014

Steve "Stubby" Heist wrote regarding best of anything. For those of you who were asleep during the beginning of this thread, the original conversation was about trombone solos.

What in the world constitutes the best???  Technical prowess?  Artistic feel?  Timing?

Steve, thanks for those descriptions. IMO, The recording of Lou McGarity’s solo on “There’ll Be Some changes Made” from the “Jamin’ At Condon’s album, more than meets your criterion as stated above.

True, I have not heard all trombone solo’s that have been played, nor all that have been recorded. But, of all I have heard in my 73 years, 4-months, 27 days, 5-some hours, it is my favorite, and has to rank up there with some of the greatest recorded Jazz trombone solos of all times.

In fact, the album of which it is on is one of my favorite recordings.

There . . . . I hope that satisfies some of the nitpickers on the list. (grin)

-Bob (Now where’d they put that damn piano) Ringwald