[Dixielandjazz] James Davis

Larry Garrett lrg4003 at aol.com
Fri Apr 18 10:31:59 PDT 2014

Marek wrote:
Hi,
How many of you have as mych as HEARD  of James DAvis?  Or Stan Williams
(dms), Art Langston (bass), Bill Kelsey (reeds) and Walter Davis (piano)?
Oh, neither had I before I bought that record.  But, with my collection, I
go for the rare and obscure rather than the well known.  So when I found
"Jmaes DAvis and His Paddock Jazz Band," I bought it.  Although I've had it
for a few years, I aapaerntly never before played it for my friens, until
the previous Thursday (the 19th).  What a reaction!
Marek, I have two albums by James Davis and the Paddock Jazz Band which I bought at the club and have autographed by him.

The club, Steve Valenti's Paddock Jazz Club, had a horse race theme.  Long and narrow, the band played above and behind the bar which ran quite a bit of the length of the room.  The club had been around for quite awhile and in the 50's the house band was Original Tuxedo Jazz Band under Oscar "Papa" Celestin.  I saw Davis playing there in the late 70's or early 80's.  I understand he has since passed away and the location of the club in the 300 block of Bourbon is now, I believe, a strip joint.

He gave a great show, played at a very high energy pace with great technique and sang in a gravelly voice.
I went to the Paddock every chance I could when I was in NOLA. Glad you found him.

Larry Garrett
KC Clarinet