[Dixielandjazz] Rare Connie Haines

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Thu Apr 17 10:05:50 PDT 2014

During the first wave of CD releases in the 1980's, there were a few vinyl LPs that
fell through the cracks and never made the transition. One of the very best of these,
which for years has been a "lost" album, was Connie Haines' "I Am What I Am" from
1984. The Bainbridge label that released it is no longer in business, but thankfully
the tiny My Music Boutique company has rescued it and even added some of Connie's
rare Dot and Motown singles as bonus tracks. I just played my copy today and it is
highly recommended, with Haines at the peak of her powers on 10 swinging standards,
plus the four "contemporary" singles, some of which were actually produced by an
unlikely fan, Smokey Robinson! BTW, just the fact that Haines chose to record the
title track, complete with all of Jerry Herman's powerful lyrics, is quite unusual
in itself, since she was a Christian minister at the time. She was also a cancer
survivor, however, and quietly administered "healing" services to many AIDS patients.
She was quite a lady. Details:
http://www.mymusicboutique.com/product/CH102-8796755
-30

-Bob Ringwald K6YBV
www.ringwald.com
916/ 806-9551

First you forget names,
then you forget faces.
Then you forget to pull up your zipper...
it's worse when you forget to pull it down.