[Dixielandjazz] Sweet `Music

Gary Lawrence Murphy garym at teledyn.com
Mon Apr 7 12:49:33 PDT 2014

but it's not the 1920's that concerns me, the quote from Pops is set
in 1900, so while it's easy to say what 'sweet' is by the time of Paul
Whiteman or the Tin Pan Alley bands, I was more concerned with what
would constitute 'sweet' two decades before.

Perhaps Pops meant the sorts of music-hall or minstrel show musics
that were popular at the time? She Was An Acrobat's Daughter and Old
Kentucky Home kinds of things?  Or the more risque drinking hall
Music-hall (ie proto-burlesque?) might explain why those bands *also*
took the 'dirty' gigs ...

--
*Teledyn Addendum: teledyn blogspot ca*
*eso: **EighthStreetOrchestra blogspot ca*