[Dixielandjazz] Jazz to Dream Troubles Away -- George Wein

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Sun Apr 6 00:41:43 PDT 2014

Jazz to Dream Troubles Away
by George Wein
Wall Street Journal, September 14, 2013
[George Wein, 87, founded the Newport Jazz Festival. His Oct. 3
and 4 performances at New York's Jazz at Lincoln Center will be
webcast at jalc.org/live. He spoke to reporter Marc Myers.]
During the Depression, many popular songs were about dreams.
"Wrap Your Troubles in Dreams" -- by Harry Barris with lyrics by
Ted Koehler and Billy Moll -- was especially meaningful to me.
The words were simple and corny in a way: "When skies are cloudy
and gray / They're only gray for a day / So wrap your troubles in
dreams / And dream your troubles away." But they were real to a
kid like me, growing up in Boston and trying to make something of
himself.
I loved Louis Armstrong's 1931 recording of the song and listened
to it all the time. [
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sgcPeqhMPA
] Before I entered the Army in 1943, while I was still in high
school, I used to go to Boston's Savoy Cafe and nurse ginger ales
just to hear trumpeter Frankie Newton. He'd wander from table to
table playing "Wrap Your Troubles" with a mute in the bell of his
horn.
Frankie was tall, kind and a sharp dresser. My musical taste came
from him -- particularly the concept that jazz could say
something meaningful when played soft and sweet rather than hot.
Even though Frankie was pained about the racial prejudice he
experienced, he played "Wrap Your Troubles" from a place of hope.
In 1953, I relocated my Storyville jazz club to Boston's Copley
Square. When Frankie died young, in early '54, I was greatly
saddened. During intermissions, I'd often sit at the piano and
play and sing "Wrap Your Troubles," using Frankie's ballad tempo.
I've never been poor but I was always broke or dreading going
broke. That's just the way the club and festival business worked.
It's funny, "Wrap Your Troubles" always seems to connect with
people who were down on their luck but trying to stay positive.
On three different occasions, a waitress came over to me after I
finished singing to ask the name of the song. They identified
with its feeling. The song helps you pull a heavy load.
-30

-Bob Ringwald K6YBV
www.ringwald.com
916/ 806-9551
“As I hurtled through space, one thought kept crossing my mind - every part of this rocket was supplied by the lowest bidder.” ~ John Glenn