[Dixielandjazz] Support live jazz

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Mon Sep 30 19:52:44 PDT 2013

Marek Boym wrote:
> Have you heard of Fritz Weiss?
> OK, neither have I, or rather p had, until the 26th, when I received a notice about tonight's "Tribute to Fritz Weiss."
> Fritz Weiss turned out to have been a Chech Jewish jazz musician, who played in Prague; after the German conquest Jews were not allowed to play, but he still arranged for the Emil Ludwig Orchestra.
> Eventually he was sent to Theresienstadt, where he organized a swing band, referred to as the Ghetto Swingers.  On September 27, 1944, A REd Cross delegation visited Teresienstadt.  The Germans put a show for them in order to prove they treated Jews humanly.  Among those appearing were the Ghetto Swingers.  On the 28th the GErmans sent them all to Auschwitz, where Fritza weiss was gassed on the smae date - his 29th birthday.
> ...By the way, the story above is based on Mr. Brenner's research.

Dear Marek,
I have.
And of the Ghetto Swingers.
The story of the band, Eric Vogel*, the Theresienstradt fortress and the Ghetto Swingers is told in the 1985 Mike Zwerin book 'La Tristesse de Saint Louis. Jazz Under The Nazis' (pages 24-29).
*Eric Vogel wrote an article, 'Jazz In A Nazi Concentration Camp. in 1961 for the US 'Down Beat' magazine.
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Vogel

These links may also be of  interest:
   http://orelfoundation.org/index.php/journal/journalArticle/jazz_and_popular_music_in_terez237n/
   http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2013/03/stanley-kubricks-unmade-film-about-jazz-in-the-third-reich/274225/
found while I searched unsuccessfully for the Vogel Down Beat article.
Very kind regards,
Bill.
PS: I still have to reply to your earlier email about listening to jazz.