[Dixielandjazz] Joe Venuti

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Mon Sep 30 14:25:57 PDT 2013

Strange.
Earlier today I listened to a Joe Venuti record made in Italy with Italian
musicians.
And now, havingturned the computer on, I see two Venuti entries from 20's
Jazz!
Playing one right now; I'll listen to the interview later.
I saw VEnuti in Nice in either 1976 or 1977, and he was as mischievous as
his reputation pictured him.  He would not show up at sessions for which he
was listed, and instead would appear unexpectedly at other people's shows,
sitting with a mischievous smile waiting for the scheduled stars.  I saw
him do that to Earl Hines, and they gave a fantastic performance.  No
problem here, but people waitin to hear him at another stage must have been
rather disappointed, as was I when I waited for him in vain.
Cheers