[Dixielandjazz] Sidney's Vibrato

Bert Brandsma mister_bertje at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 29 14:51:23 PDT 2013

Hello Stan,
That story is wrong. Literal all New Orleans horn players in the 1920's played with vibrato, most with quite a lot. The great players had a very personal interpretation and way of using it, be it Johnny Dodds, Louis Armstrong (just listen to all his increasing vibrato's, ending in shakes) or Bechet.Swing players on average used a bit more controlled way of vibrato, but still , just listen to Hawkins or the entire Ellington sax secton......
It is really the generation of Miles Davis and later that use little, till in the 1960's we suddenly were trained to play non vibrato ......
But Bechet simply fits his time, the intonation issue for soprano's has nothing to do with it.
Bert Brandsma