[Dixielandjazz] Fats Waller's "Stealin' Apples"

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Thu Sep 26 16:02:21 PDT 2013

ROBERT JOHN SMITH wrote:
> By 2011, there have been 109 recordings of this tune, but, as far as I can see, it was never recorded by Fats, himself.
> I'm interested in obtaining a recording by a small ensemble that most resembles the style of Fats Waller and his Rhythm.
> I'll be grateful for any suggestions, preferably with reference to a CD that might still be available.

Dear Bob,
Try this YouTube one (with BG hamming it up).
   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKnNa4JjJMg
Then there is Peanuts Hucko at:
   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umboSagvrEk

And a 1960 Chiaroscuro CR 167 LP version with Peanuts Hucko and Ralph Sutton.
But this may be hard to find. I never did.
There has to be others, but my up-coming busy day today prevents me from checking at the moment.
DJML lurker, clarinetist Jack Wiard, introduced it to our quartet a few years ago and it is always popular.
Very kind regards,
Bill.