[Dixielandjazz] Raymond Scott

domitype domitype at gmail.com
Thu Sep 26 10:15:55 PDT 2013

There is also the Raymond Scott Orchestrette from NYC (I just heard about this group today - the description below is from a Ghost Train Orchestra press release.)

The RSO performs radical reinventions of the legendary composer's animated tunes. Besides such favorites as "Powerhouse," "The Penguin," and "Twilight in Turkey," the Orchestrette features lesser-known works such as "Coming Down to Earth," "Naked City," and "A Street Corner in Paris." They recently collaborated with Dance Heginbotham at Lincoln Center on their piece Manhattan Research. The Orchestrette is Wayne Barker (piano); Brian Dewan (electric zither, koto); Mike Hashim (sax); Will Holshouser (accordion); George Rush (bass); Rob Thomas (violin); Clem Waldmann (drums).

They will be playing in NYC on October 26th along with Ghost Train. G.T.O. has been discussed on DJML before - they do "inventive" versions of small big band songs from the late 20s - early 30s.

Dave Richoux