[Dixielandjazz] Lou-Easy-An-Ia

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Mon Sep 23 18:16:59 PDT 2013

Bill Haesler commented:
> The reference to the "first real recording of it was by George Lewis; on the flip side was Monette Moore doing Burgundy Street Blues" is bothering me. More later.

Dear Gary, and those listmates still following this esoteric thread,
What worried me was an implication in Mr Darensbough's statement that the 'flip side' of the 12" 78 Jazz Man 501 record was "Burgundy Street Blues". (Recorded in Los Angeles on 26 October 1953.)
As I vaguely recalled it being "Just A Closer Walk With Thee".
It is.
Checking reveals that he would probably have been referring to the Jazz Man 10"LP (LP1/LI 331).
On which, incidentally, the spelling is "Lou-Easy-An-I-A".
(I have a copy of the 12" 78 label.)
As was, I believe, the George Lewis Quartet Riverside LP version  (RLP 2512, RLP 12-207) recorded in New Orleans on 25 September 1953.
So, dear Dick, what is the source for your 'bizarre spelling' of "Lou-easy-an-i-a-i"?
However, I still applaud your decision:
"So as far as I'm concerned, the title is the one on the first recording, the Pete Dailey-Joe
Darensbourg record, and thus is Louis-i-an-ia."
Very kind regards,
Bill.