[Dixielandjazz] Did King Oliver write "Sweet Mumtaz"?

Dick Baker djml at dickbaker.org
Fri Sep 20 11:30:34 PDT 2013

In my efforts to double-check and confirm every
title in the Stomp Off catalog, I went to the
Library of Congress copyright files to confirm
the well-known fact that Luis wrote this tune,
which he recorded twice, but nobody else did at
the time.  Much to my surprise, I find a
copyright that says Oliver wrote it, Russell just arranged it:

         Sweet Mumtaz; melody, J. Oliver, of U.S., arr. Luis C. Russell.
         © 1 c. June 6, 1925; E 616496; Joseph Oliver, Chicago.

I found most of the original 1926 record labels
that Russell's recordings came out on, and they
all credited Russell.  I checked my own record
collection and found that in my 11 recordings of
it, only one band, Buck Creek, had attributed it to Oliver.

Has anybody here every run across any information
that would explain this discrepancy?

--Dick Baker
Working on an updated version of the Stomp Off
Records Tune Titles and Composers Index
See working draft at http://dickbaker.org/stompoff/index.pdf