[Dixielandjazz] Le Petit Journal St. Michel in Paris, France

Gary Kiser gary at kiser.org
Thu Sep 19 14:10:14 PDT 2013

Barbara,

Les Rois du Foxtrot (The Foxtrot Kings) is a project of cornetist
Jean-Pierre Morel who is known for leading "Charquet et Co" and "Le
Petit Jazzband de Mr. Morel". Jean-Pierre has written arrangements that
would make any band leader envious. He specializes in rare dance band
tunes that cook in the style of Fletcher Henderson, King Oliver, Bennie
Moten...

Normally, Scotswoman Shona Taylor plays second cornet, but the bald
head gives me a clue that she was replaced that evening. I don't
recognize the cornetist in your clip.

The excellent Patrick Bacqueville is often on trombone, but it looks
like Pierre Reboud (who I don't know personally) was on the job that
night.

On reeds, I see Michel Bescont on the far side of the group. Another
excellent player that replaces our reed man from time to time. Just this
side of him is probably Marc Bresdin (another that I don't know
personally). Quite often, they have a third reed in Nicolas Montier who
is just a giant (an excellent guitar player too). A couple of years back
when I escorted Allan Vaché in Paris, I took him to see the Paris Swing
Orchestra. Afterwards, Allan wanted me to introduce him to Nicolas.

On banjo, there was either Nicolas Peslier or Alan Kelly, but I can't
see in the clip. Both are excellent players. I suspect it was Nicolas as
Allan had some health issues a couple of years back.

On tuba you had Gérard Gervois who many may know from the Paris
Washboard group that has made many Stateside jaunts. Of interest, Gérard
was/is in the original and reformed Anachronic Jazz Band. A wonderful
two-beat player.

Rounding out the group, you probably had Bernard Thevin on piano and
Laurence Bridard on drums. I don't know either personally but they have
fine reputations.

It looks like a good time was had by all. Thanks for sharing the clip.

All the best, Gary