[Dixielandjazz] Lead Sheets

Ken Mathieson ken at kenmath.free-online.co.uk
Wed Sep 18 12:45:15 PDT 2013

Hi All,

Jim makes a very good point:

>snip
For those of us that do have various books, but occassionally have an
interest in the odd song that we can't find on our own, this list is
invaluable for coming up quickly with a lead sheet.
<snip

I occasionally fall into that category when I have to write a chart on a tune I don't have in my library and have found listmates to be generous and quick in sharing, which is hugely appreciated by me. Usually I'd just put the headphones on and take it down the old-fashioned way, but if the chart has to be written in a tight timeframe, it can save a heck of a lot of time if I've got an accurate melody line and chords in front of me. I'd certainly not wish to undermine the income of listmates who have books out there, but I'd hate to see the free exchange of lead sheets disappear from DJML. Some of the stuff I take down from recordings just isn't available in most books and I'm happy to swap these with listmates.

Ken