[Dixielandjazz] Sid Phillips

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Sat Sep 14 02:20:48 PDT 2013

Jepsen discards Sid Phillips as someone who led "pseudo-dixieland bands"
and excludes him from the jazz discography.  Likewise, Messrs. Harris and
Rust did not mention Phillips in their "Recorded Jazz: A Critical Guide;"
they should, however, be given the benefit of doubt: their book included
only music available in microgroove in 1956.  The only mention of Phillips
in the 1958 "Just Jazz" refers to one 1940 number in a compilation (again,
there might have been no other Phillips recordings available on microgroove
in that year).
I have the feeling that such treatment was unjustified. Phillips fares
better in John Chilton's "Who Is Who in British Jazz," where he is
mentioned as someone who "formed his own successful small Dixieland band
and continued to lead this into the early 1970s."  We - my friends and I -
like Sid Phillips' band.  I have two Sid Phillips LPs, "Chicago and All
That Jazz" (Rediffusion ZS 27), with twelve well played stadards, and
"Fascinating Rhythm" by a Phillips swing group on Contour 2870136;
unfortuately, neither gives any details; the latter includes swinging
arrangements of (then) current pops, such as the Beatles' "Can't Buy Me
Love."
Does anybody know the recording dates or personnel?
Cheers