[Dixielandjazz] New Iberia Blues --Re: Early Jazz Drum solo recordings

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Mon Sep 9 14:39:09 PDT 2013

Bunk apparently was not very happy with the band more or less forced on him
by Bill Russell.  When he had his own choice, he played with different
musicians.

I have one American Music Lp of his, and it's hardly great.  The Jazzology
people said all the LPs were printed at the wrong speed, and that this
problem has been rectified on the CD reissue.
Still, I have another LP with Albert Warner rather than Jim Robinson on
trombone, and it's not better.  The best Bunk I've heard is the "Spicy
Advice" session on GHB, with a band he picked.  "The Last Testament" with
New York musicians is very good, too, as are the sessions with the Yerba
Buena (sans Watters) and another West Coast session with Kid Ory and Wade
Whaley, which also contains duets with Bertha Gonsoulin (American Music
AMCD-16).
Cheers