[Dixielandjazz] "War Cloud" (was "Riverboat Shuffle")

Dick Baker djml at dickbaker.org
Sun Sep 8 15:41:32 PDT 2013

Phil Wilking wrote:

>I have confirmed the story about "War Cloud" being the original title of
>"Fidgety Feet" with James LaRocca, the son of Nick.
>
>He told me that the publisher did change the title to prevent a drop in
>sheet music sales after World War I stopped.
"Sheet music sales"?  That stopped me short, as I
wasn't aware of its being published in sheet form
at the time.  But I had done my previous research
11 years ago and thought I recalled that it was
oknly informally and verbally known as "War
Cloud," e.g., on the bandstand at
Reisenweber's.  But I checked my notes and see
that Jim Jones reported having a published
arrangement (Leo Feist, 1918) by Le Roy Walker of
"War Cloud" -- "As Played by the Original Dixieland Jazz Band."

Since then, I've tracked down digital copies of
all the Library of Congress copyright catalogs,
so I started digging and found that it was indeed
first copyrighted as "War Cloud":

In 1918:
         War cloud; one-step, by D. J. La Rocca,
Larry Shields and H. W. Ragas [of U.S.];
         piano. © 1 c. June 26, 1918; E 428197; Leo Feist, inc., New York.
Later came a rereg. dropping Ragas:
         War cloud; one step, by D. J. La Rocca
and Larry Shields [of U.S.]; piano.
         © Aug. 9, 1918; 2 c. Aug. 10, 1918; E
430045; Leo Feist, inc., New York.
And then an arrangement copyright:
         War cloud; one step, by D. J. La Rocca
and Larry Shields [of U.S.], arr. by
         Le Roy Walker [of U.S.]; orch. with
piano. 4to. © Dec. 13, 1918; 2 c. Dec.
         14, 1918; E 440108; Leo Feist, Inc., New
York. [Copyright is claimed on arrangement]
THIS is the version that Jim Jones has.

NO copyrights as Fidgety Feet 1917-18.

In 1919, we get two copyrights side by side as
"Fidgety Feet," one for the arrangement, one for the piano score:
         Fidgety feet; jazz one step, by D. J. La
Rocca and Larry Shields, arr.
         by Leroy Walker [of U.S.]; orch. 4to. © Jan. 28, 1919; 2 c. Jan. 29,
         1919; E 442167; Leo Feist, inc., New York.

         __________ one step, by D. J. La Rocca
and Larry Shields [of U.S.]; piano.
         © Jan. 20, 1919; 2 c. Jan. 21, 1919; E
439966; Leo Feist, inc., New York.

I double-checked the original Victor 18564 record
label: Just Fidgety Feet by La Rocca-Shields.

However, the Victor Project ledgers report that
its "alternate title" is "The War Cloud."
(see that source at
http://victor.library.ucsb.edu/index.php/matrix/detail/700007166/B-22042-Fidgety_feet)

So there was a published arrangement that got out
as "War Cloud," but no recordings, and if there
was a "consumer" (i.e., piano) sheet music
version published under either title I haven't
ever run across it.  But George Gershwin wrote
and published a "Fidgety Feet" in 1926.

I apologize to all those whose eyes glaze over at
the presentation of such endless minutia, but if
you enjoy this sort of thing, feel to free to dip
into my notes in progress for 300+ pages of it in
8-point type.  But it's a PDF, so you can easily
search for any name or title you wish.

--Dick Baker
Working on an updated version of the Stomp Off
Records Tune Titles and Composers Index
See working draft at http://dickbaker.org/stompoff/index.pdf