[Dixielandjazz] Film Music from the 20's

Randy Fendrick jfendrick at bak.rr.com
Thu Sep 5 11:10:11 PDT 2013

I am working on a book and lecture on music in the town that I live in regarding the evolution of music here.  I know that during early part of the 20th century in the silent film era,  that musicians accompanied films to give the film meaning etc.  In the early days a pianist or an organ player would improvise to give the film meaning, but after Birth of A Nation, film companies prepared scores for local musicians to play and these scores were sent with the film to the local theater.  I am wondering does anyone know of a source where one can see these scores?  Or any source that one might read about these pieces of music and how musicians cooped with those demands?  Many of the bands were only 4 to 5 pieces so it would be real interesting to see and hear what they really sounded like and how closely they accompanied the flickering action.