[Dixielandjazz] Information

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Mon Sep 2 03:17:17 PDT 2013

Many years ago, the Italians issued a series of LPs under the title
"Curcio/I Giganti del Jazz."  The series was cheap and had pretty good
sound (OK, the Rex Stewart Amiga recordings don't sound so good, but that's
the fault of th recording, not the reissue).  "Curcio" refers to Armando
Curcio, the editor of the series.
Som records give all the information required and more (more - because it's
doubtful that anybody will remember the names of all the Czech musicians
participating in various numbers recorded with visiting Americans; no
offence to the Czechs meant - some are tryly excellent). Others, however,
give so little info as be misleading.
One such is a boogie woogie compilation, which doesn't even say what it is,
just gives teh names of the principal participants and the tune titles.
Thus, only pianists are listed, even though most numbers are group
performances.  No horns, but no paiano solos, with the exception of  Sammy
Price's contributions in which I could not discern any other instruments.
The worst "offenders" are "Rdith Boogie Woogie," listed as by Milton
Buckner on piano, but in fact featuring both a piano and an organ (an
instrument I can't stand), as well as drums and a wailing ("blues") guitar,
and Willie Mabon's "I Enjoyed Myself in Pau" which also features a "blues"
(synonym for awful) guitar.
The nubers and the msicians listed are:
Side A:
Roll'em (Jay McShann)
Funky K.C. (Jay McShann and Milt Buckner)
Black and Blue Boogie (Buckner)
Edith Boogie Woogie (ditto)
Buck's Boogie Woogie (ditto)
Rejane Boogie (Joe Turner)