[Dixielandjazz] Jam Session at the Dancing Camel - October 30, 2013

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Wed Oct 30 16:18:09 PDT 2013

I came back from that jam session about an hour ago.  What fun!
Theoretically a guitar jam (the organizer David Mencher himself plays
ukelele), it attracts various instruments.  When I arrived, there were
sevearl guitarists (fewer than usual, probably because of the break in
September) and DAvid and a young guy by the name of Noam on ukelele.  Then
a lady violinist joined, followed by two banjo players (5 string banjoes).
Some pople left, others came in.  At some stage, Eli Preminger arrived with
a toy trumpet and a baritone horn, both of which he played very well.  anda
young clarinet player with klezmer overtones.  And after them - two
excellent young guitarists, one of whom must be a lefty, as he stums with
his left.
The sound is far from perfect - the bare walls and tuns do not create good
accoustics.  So what?!  Musicians are having fun, and it is reflected in
their music.  There was hardly any audience, the entire audience being in
one way or another related to the players (friends, relatives).  The
atmosphere was good, and the home brewed beer is excellent.
But I wish more people would come to hear the players - they desrve it.
Cheers