[Dixielandjazz] Bill Gunter

Pat Ladd pj.ladd at btinternet.com
Wed Oct 30 14:58:01 PDT 2013

Amongst some old papers I discovered this poem.
The background is that shortly after I joined this list about 14 years ago I had a tilt at a contributor, one Bill Gunter. I had the temerity to criticise his use of the English language. I didn`t know at that time that Bill was a teacher of languages at a very high level in the American Educational system. Something like University level I think.
We had  a brisk exchange of posts and we became closer after our little differences of opinion.
When Bill came to the UK with the band he stayed with me and we became friends and he sat in with us in Bath with his washboard and vocals...
I should explain that my father started a Builders Merchants business in 1939 and had retired when I took over in the 60`s  After Bills return to the States I wrote a parody which started

Along came, Bill
An extraordinary guy...

Bill responded with this.

When Pat was a Ladd he served a term
Stocking shelves in a hardware firm
He stacked the wood in the lumber yard
And never did complain though the work was hard

He stacked the wood in a style so grand
That now he is a drummer in a nice jazz band

At stocking shelves he made such a name
That manager he soon became
He made the schedules in ahand so fine
And kept the inventories of the hardware line

He learned to count to four I understand
A now he plays percussion in a nice jazz band

At managing he earned an award
And got bumped up to the Executive Board
He made good decisions and the company grew
And everybody prospered before he got through

They did so well with his guiding hand
That now he plays the drums in a nice jazz band

He finally came to retirement day
And he did pretty well with his severance pay
And the people all around remember him still
And point to his house at the top of the hill

And now he's known throughout the land
And he gets to play the drums in a nice jazz band

So children listen if you will
If you want to rise to the top of the hill
Get yourself a  job in a hardware store
And learn to count from one to four

If you can count up to four with either hand
You can be a drummer in a nice jazz band.

(or maybe a washboard player)

Respectfully submitted

Bill "Gilbert" Gunter

Cheers