[Dixielandjazz] Free Music/ Truly upsetting

Roy Taylor budtuba at gmail.com
Tue Oct 29 16:53:30 PDT 2013

The Jim Cullum band seems to have made a system that pays him and his band,
but I agree that an anomaly.  I think the answer today includes selling
tunes on ITunes and with CDs, but that takes a lot of effort in itself to
produce.  You have to spend at least if not more time promoting yourself
and landing gigs.  Todays world that is paying some is senior living
communities, jazz societies, village park concert series, and taverns who
will supply you with a small amount of pay and something to eat. That is
discouraging.  People today have so many alternatives to chose front that
live jazz music can get lost in the mayhem.   We have also found some
support from swing dance clubs.  Summer months is our best time.  Make sure
your band has a web site where you can advise fans to keep in touch with
your schedule.  Ours in not fancy, but it helps.  www.smugtownstompers.com

budtuba at gmail.com

--
Roy (Bud) Taylor