[Dixielandjazz] Duke Ellingotn - Steve Voce - and some memories

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Sat Oct 26 12:42:43 PDT 2013

Strange to have the Ellington band described as "too loose."  In my
opinion, that is impossible (unless it deteriorates into cacophony)!   The
Kenton band, on the other hand, always sounded over-arranged, and hence -
unswinging.  I remember seeing a Kenton LP in a guy'scollection back in
1957 or '58, and envying him.  The envy ended when I heardthe record, with
only a number or two really swinging, and with soloists whose playing was
not "hot."

The only big band I listen to as a band, not for its soloists, is the Basie
band of the '30's, which played mostly "head" arrangements and sounds
really loose, like a small band.  All the other bands were only asgood as
their soloists; the arranged ensembles never sounded very interesting to
me, even though some were really swinging!  But it were the Godmans and the
Shaws and the Lester Youngs and the Claytons that made listening to big
bands interesting, if you were not interested in dancing.
Cheers