[Dixielandjazz] Tommy Whittle RIP

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Fri Oct 25 15:47:55 PDT 2013

> The Daily Telegraph review cited Tommy as playing "in the Stan Getz style"
> and the Glasgow Herald obit
> http://www.heraldscotland.com/comment/obituaries/tommy-whittle.22487334cited Don Byas as his model, but Tommy always named Wardell Gray as his
> principal primary influence. When I worked with him in the 1970s and 80s,
> he used to stay with us when he was working in Scotland and, during
> after-gig suppers, it was always Wardell Gray LPs he wanted to hear..

Now that makes sense.  Wardell Gray might have been a bopper or not, but
his style was emotional and HOT!  If I remember properly, when his majesty
the King (of swing) said he didn't like bebop, his interviewer said
something about his employing Wardell GRay.  The King, unperturbed,
re;lied: "If Wardell Gray plays bebop, then I like bebop."  I reached the
same conclusion long before I even knew that Gray played with Goodman.
Cheers