[Dixielandjazz] Taiwan Saxophones

Charlie Hull charlie at easysounds.com
Tue Oct 22 19:14:26 PDT 2013

Thanks, Bob. I've been playing a Cannonball Tenor Sax for almost three
years. It replaced my old King Super 20 silver bell, purchased in 1962,
blows more easily and has a great tone. When I acquired the horn, I put
the King in the shop for a complete tuneup. It's my standby axe, so I
get it out and toot on it occasionally to make sure it's still working.
It was OK when I didn't knew the difference, but I'd hate to go back to
it as my main horn.

The Cannonball company is based in Utah, but its horns are manufactured
in Taiwan to Cannonball's specs. Then they're shipped to Utah where
they're tested and fine-tuned before they're made available for sale.

I don't have any other experience with Taiwanese quality, but I sure
love this horn.

My only complaint is that I chose a silver plate finish, which was great
at first, but is becoming uneven as I clean the large accessible
surfaces but have difficulty cleaning and polishing between the key
posts. Now the instrument has an "experienced" look... sorta like it's
owner.

I wouldn't hesitate to consider a horn because it was made in Taiwan.

I thought I might buy a Cannonball clarinet, but Bob Newman decided to
sell off his Selmer, so I bought it... and love it. Imagine my
dissapointment when I discovered it didn't come with all those beautiful
licks Bob produced on it.

Charlie Hull