[Dixielandjazz] Dick Wellstood and SHIRAZ

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Tue Oct 22 11:50:02 PDT 2013

> run it seems by one "Charlie the Chulo"
>

> When I was a schoolboy I used to frequent the Communist bookshop in
> Glasgow because it was the only place some blues records could be had.

When was that, Robert?  In communist Poland, the stuff must have been
forbidden until 1953, when jazz became an expression of the negroes'
struggle for equality rather then the product of decandent capitalist
culture it had been theretofor.

> Some years later the veteran proprietor and I could have been prosecuted
> for listening to some of the music we sampled from his old and dusty vinyl
> stock -- if we'd been in Prague.

And probably any othe communist country, with the possible exception of
Yugoslavia.

> One day much later an offer I'd made to a musician to review his CD for a
> US-based website was turned down angrily after initial acceptance, because
> for whatever reasons the website proprietor had expressed a measure of
> disdain with reference to George W. Bush.
>
> And here was me thinking jazz an ally of Free Speech.

Why?  Waht has music to do with free speech?  In fact, nothing at all.
Music is music.  Full stop.

Cheers