[Dixielandjazz] Fw: How many grooves?

John And Sue Duffield johnsueduffield at gmail.com
Tue Nov 19 03:36:19 PST 2013

Hi Jack,

I stumbled upon your correspondence on the Dixieland message board in October 2011, regarding the Doo Dah Stakes and Doo Dah Cup.

I had this 78 LP as a boy in the late 1940s and if my memory serves me correctly,  some of the horses were "Boneshaker", "Carrot Top", "Ferdy The Fox" (or was it Fergy), "Naughty Neddy", "Orange" and "Winnie The Pooh". As a child I was always intrigued and delighted at the fact that the race would end differently and could not work out at the time how this was possible.

I was only just telling my 45 year old son about the album earlier this evening and we thought we would Google it and as a result came across your post. I seem to recall that the record was the colour blue and not the usual black.

Thanks for sharing.

John Duffield,
Adelaide, SA.
>> That's interesting. I googled "Doo Dah Stakes" and found a list of 10 >> inch >> 78s. One of them was a Cyril Angles recording on the John Mystery label >> JM0004 with "Doo-Dah Stakes" on one side and "Doo-Dah Cup" on the other. >> Could this be your record? > > Hi Stan, > > That's the 78 I mentioned in my original post on the subject - I confused > the title of that with the LP - now you've jogged my memory, I think that > the LP in fact came from an Adelaide company. John Mystery discs were from > Sydney. I'll try to find it, but it's not stored amongst my favourites! It > will be in a box somewhere in the garage, which my wife refers to as the > city dump. > > Best wishes > Jack

Sent from my iPad