[Dixielandjazz] Emmett Miller CD

Dick Baker djml at dickbaker.org
Fri Nov 15 15:08:12 PST 2013

Allow me to jump in ahead of dear Bill.  Emmett Miller was a
brilliant minstrel show veteran who was rescued from obscurity when
Columbia released this CD in 1996, presenting a bunch of recordings
he made for OKeh in 1928-29, near the end of his life.  The band put
together for the recordings was called the Georgia Crackers and used
Tommy & Jimmy Dorsey, Artie Schutt, Eddie Lang, Stan King or Gene
Krupa, Manny Klein or Leo McConville, Joe Tarto and others.

What's stunning about Miller is not just the jazz quality of these
recordings.  You quickly will realize that he's the guy who taught
both Jimmie Rodgers and Hank Williams how to sing.  The Amazon link is

         http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000002B10/ref=dm_dp_cdp?ie=UTF8&qid=1384556102&s=music&sr=1-1

but sadly, it appears that the CD is out of print.  A few non-Amazon
vendors, and folks on eBay, are selling remaining new copies for
prices starting at $40, or you can buy the tunes as mp3s.  But you
really want the CD, as it has a great booklet telling the Emmett Miller story.

You can see a few more of the details at

         http://www.discogs.com/Emmett-Miller-The-Minstrel-Man-From-Georgia/release/1332676

But wait, there's more.  Columbia's CD presented the best surviving
recordings of Miller, and it constitutes about half of the recordings
he made.  I was so taken with him that I tracked down the rest of his
records and created an Emmett Miller Vol. 2 CD for my own
enjoyment.  I've put the files from it at

         http://dickbaker.org/EmmettMiller2/

Feel free to listen/read/download.  None of this has ever been reissued.

--
      Dick Baker
  djml at dickbaker.org