[Dixielandjazz] Fw: netiquette (regular reminder sometimes needed by me)

ROBERT R. CALDER serapion at btinternet.com
Thu Nov 7 23:58:32 PST 2013

I have no objection to reports of who is playing where == within obvious limits, like most of us I don't really want to know about some Memphis Pharaoh Saunders (now THERE's somebody HOT!!!!) jazz-jock electronic combo. Melbourne and California gigs are fine, give one a sense of space and non-isolation. How there could be any confusion between my objection to waste of space and time sheerly by failure to abridge messages replied to, and the rendering of concise reports of gigs internationally, I cannot say.

"People on this list hate success stories from musicians and Band leaders that are still promoting the Music , keeping it alive and making money doing it." Really?  I ain't one of dem!!!! I used to review music, and Bill Bissonette and other working musicians wrote appreciating my attempts to forestall the development of failure stories (I was merely trying to follow the lead of such as maestro Steve Voce!)

"Some members are really professional and run their band like a business and not a hobby.   They do more to preserve and promote Traditional Jazz than 90% of the Trad Jazz Societies in the world ... " ?  I can't talk about percentages of Trad Jazz Societies, but it's perfectly valid to ask quite forcefully whether that is true, especially if your Trad Jazz Society might be among the 90%.

Being businesslike (rather than sheerly commercial) is an important element of running a band or any other organisation serving culturally positive purposes. Don't die to pander to audiences. Unbusinesslike is careless musicianship, trotting out the same bland nonsense as ever, even going on and on with solos like e-mail correspondents who don't cut needless repetitions -- like for instance thanking somebody in Australia for gig details such that those who receive mails together and daily find several copies of the same gig details on the same page. This of course is turning into a parable of how not to programme any gig.

Of course there have always been fringes of "trad jazz" where small amateur firms have delivered  large quantities of in effect mass-produced tat: saints come staggering in again, burdened with wings grown huge and non-functional because of a failure to try, even within modest limits, to fly.

BY ALL MEANS POST GIG INFO, and I repeat

members forget the amount of space one is forced to plod through because rather than posting a reply with a hint as
to its reference, and wiping superfluous odds and ends, some people just respond and send the thing in, trailing spaces and >>>>>s

Robert R. Calder