[Dixielandjazz] Oliver's "Zulus Ball" -- new information?

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Wed Nov 6 12:46:16 PST 2013

Dick Baker wrote:
> Oliver's famously rare Gennett 5275 shows this as "Zulus Ball" by Oliver-Robinson.  A later reissue of it on the Biltmore label added an apostrophe to the title ("Zulu's Ball), but had no composer credits.
> That "Oliver-Robinson" credit is what you'll find on most issues of either Oliver's original or revivalist recreations, although more recently it has been claimed that the co-composer is actually C. Alvin "Zue" Robertson, a trombonist whose main claim to fame is appearing on two sides by Jelly Roll Morton in 1923.
> In trying to track down where the Robertson attribution came from, I went looking for a copyright for the tune, and look what I found:
>
>        Zulu's ball; melody J. O., of U.S., arr. Alvin Robertson,
>        of U.S. © 1 c. Oct. 25, 1923; E 574456; Joseph Oliver,
>        Chicago.
>
> So Robertson wasn't a composer, just the arranger.  And Oliver intended for there to be an apostrophe in the title, although the singular possessive is silly, since it presumably takes more than one Zulu to have a ball.  After all, it's Darktown Strutters' Ball for that same reason.
> Bill Haesler, you've often quoted your Laurie Wright book on Oliver here; does he have anything to say about this?

Dear Dick,
He certainly does.
Laurie Wright's 1987 book/discography includes a photograph of the label of Gennett 5275-A.
(Forget the 1950s Biltmore, and other reissues, it was a bootleg reissue and has not official standing.)

The title as shown on the label is   Zulus Ball   (upper and lower case.)
The composer credit is   (Oliver-Robinson).
There is also a photograph of part of the recording card from the session containing the following information:

Recording Information Of Wax No.	11635
							11635A
							11635B
							11635C

Date Recorded  10-5-23		By E.C.A. Wickemeyer  Richmond. Ind.
Subject	"ZULUS BALL"
By		King Oliver & his Creole Jazz Band
Composed by	[blank]		Music by  Oliver - Robinson
Words by	Oliver - Robinson	Published by	Melrose
Copyright		[blank]		Royalties	[blank]
Recording Expense	[blank]
Wax Shipped	[blank]		Trunk No.	  [blank]		Via.	[blank]

Very kind regards,
Bill