[Dixielandjazz] you cant cheat a cheater

Scott Anthony santh at comcast.net
Sun Nov 3 07:36:23 PST 2013

Pat et al,

The lead sheet I made has “Chorus” written on it because the Finale template file I created a long time ago has “Intro”, “Verse”, and “Chorus” boxes that I can drag around the page and place where they might be needed. I just deleted the “Intro” and “Verse”box!  When I’m laying out a tune I just assume that if there is no apparent verse then it is by definition a chorus.

None of the versions of the tune I found on Spotify had vocals. I found Phil Napolean, Max Kaminsky, Tommy Dorsey, and Eddie Lang/Joe Venuti. Most of the versions use the last 8 bars very up-tempo as an intro and then a 4-bar piano “turnaround” type second intro, and then a moderate or slow tempo series of choruses.

None of this, to be sure, means there is no verse or lyric to the tune, but with so many versions, one would think that at least one of the versions would have the verse and vocal.

Scott

Scott Anthony
santh at comcast.net
www.santhony.com