[Dixielandjazz] Watching Gatsby

Bert Brandsma mister_bertje at hotmail.com
Wed May 22 15:32:33 PDT 2013

I went to see the movie,

Selena and I have seen the 3D version.

The 3D effects are really stunning, but at a certain point you get the feel that it is

overdone a bit.

Music wise it does play Louis Armstrong's opening of his record of Ain't Misbehavin for a

while, and another Armstrong record is shortly done, but I forgot the title.

It proves how unique Armstrong was, since it is the music that has most to tell in the

entire movie.

It also does part of Rhapsody in Blue, which sounds so perfect, that one gets the

impression it is recorded with computer corrections on every part. Or maybe the musicians

are all simply extremely gifted.....

But Rhapsody remains a fantastic piece of music to my ears.

What is really disturbing is that quite a lot of the music that should give a sort of

1920's feeling is well, I have no others words for it, is being raped by a kind of house

beat, that is really totally out of context, ugly and tasteless.

Another negative is that the musicians in the movie are only actors, who really have no

idea how to hold an instrument.

So I would not say that you should not go, but to me it has mixed feelings.

In a way they gave a lot of effort, like in the 3D.

There are other points that could be improved. But at least it does have Armstrong and it

does have Gershwin, 2 very important factors from those times....

Kind regards,

Bert Brandsma