[Dixielandjazz] "Borneo" by Walter Donaldson (?)

Dick Baker dick at dickbaker.org
Sun May 12 14:38:59 PDT 2013

Do any of you have actual sheet music for the "Borneo" that Trumbauer
(with Bix) recorded in 1928 and that jazz bands have been playing
ever since?  It *may* have been published by Donaldson Publishing Co. in 1928.

I went looking for it, figuring it would be easy to find, but it's
not in any of the big sheet music collections online.  And it's not
just that the sheet music isn't available for viewing; it's not even
*listed* in the many big collections that index their holdings but
don't make them available for viewing online.

All I could find was "(I Wish That I'd Been Born) In Borneo," w.
Grant Clarke, m. Walter Donaldson, pub. by Irving Berlin in 1920 and
popularized (says the cover) by Eddie Cantor in a show called
"Broadway Brevities."

But that 1920 song is nothing like the song that Tram & Bix recorded
in 1928.  You can see the sheet at

         http://digital.library.msstate.edu/cdm/singleitem/collection/SheetMusic/id/3854/rec/1

You can hear the Cantor recording at

         http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdY_Kpz7VHI