[Dixielandjazz] North Rampart Street March (was Next SAP CD)

J McClernan mcclernan1 at verizon.net
Sun May 12 23:01:17 PDT 2013

Hi Gary,
Point of clarification..... "Beale Street Blues" is a 1916 William Christopher (W.C.) Handy tune about Beale Street in Memphis.
Not sure about some of the others.
Cheers,

John McClernan, Tuba/Bass
Atlantic City Jazz Band
Atlantic City, New Jersey

On May 13, 2013, at 1:27 AM, Gary Kiser wrote:

Bob, you were right... Bill Haesler could give me all the info.

If you want to hear the excerpt of North Rampart Street Parade that Phil Wilking is talking about, go to
http://www.rhapsody.com/artist/sharkey-bonano/album/sounds-of-new-orleans-vol-8/track/north-rampart-street-parade

Bill, would it be too much to ask for a mp3 of the tune? I will put it up on the cloud and send everyone a link (as attachments are a no no).

Curious, how many songs are there names after street in NOLA?

Rampart Street Parade
South Rampart Street Parade
North Rampart Street Parade
Bourbon Street Parade
Burgundy Street Blues
Canal Street Blues
Basin Street Blues
Beale Street Blues
Decatur Street Blues
Church Street Sobbin' Blues
Common Street Blues
Conti Street Parade
Fulton Street Blues*
Gravier Street Blues
Market Street Blues*
Perdido Street Blues
State Street Blues
Up Cherry Street*

*) not sure the street in NOLA was the inspiration

Will be seeing Evan Christopher this weekend at our Jazz aux Sources Festival in Châtel Guyon. (http://www.jazz-aux-sources.com/) We are kind of the house band like at Sancy Snow Jazz. Lots and lots of fun. There are swing dance classes and tap dance classes and lots of jazz. All free. Hmmm, of course, we don't play for free.

All the best, Gary

On 13/05/2013 00:48, Bill Haesler wrote:
> Gary Kiser asked:
>> ...We plucked North Rampart Street Parade from a Sharkey Bonano recording. Does anyone have a printed copy of this
>> tune? Or, at least, know anything about it? Did Sharkey write it? Does it have words?
> and Bob Ringwald replied:
>> I am sure Bill Haesler can give you all the info.
>> I do know that Bob Haggart (SP) wrote it. I believe Nappy LeMarr (SP) got credit also.
>> If you use the words, Steve Allen wrote the lyrics later.
> Dear Bob,
> You are thinking of SOUTH Rampart Street Parade.
> North Rampart Street Parade was recorded 'live' by Sharkey Bonano (as Gary mentioned) in New Orleans on 31 August 1952.
> It released on a Danish Storyville LP.
> The tune was recorded by him earlier on 24 June 1952 as 'North Rampart Street March" and issued by Capitol.
> Composer credit is given to (Bonano, Doria).
> There is no vocal. (I have this version.)
> The book 'New Orleans Jazz. A Family Album' lists a drummer Al Doria (1899-1977) who played with most of the top musicians in New Orleans in the 20s and later worked in the band instrument department of Werlein's music store. There are no recordings by him that I can find.
> Very kind regards,
> Bill.

Gary Kiser
22, rue de Nohanent - Apt 332