[Dixielandjazz] Sitting in in Paris...

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Tue May 7 14:24:47 PDT 2013

Gary Lawrence Murphy asks:

I am curious, I've never heard of a trad-jazz band being so specific in
their repertoire (admittedly, I don't get out much and I live way out in
the near-northern Canadian bushlands) why did your band choose Turk Murphy?
I'm very glad you do, but I am just curious how it came to be.
(snip)

Gary,

It is very common for bands to choose a specific band or style to copy or immolate. Since many years ago Lu Watters let his entire book of arrangements out, many, many bands have used that book to play the Lu Watters, West Coast two trumpet style of Jazz.

There are many bands on the West Coast who play in that style – A few good ones and many (ahem) not so good ones.

There are also many bands from around the world who play the Watters style.

It seems to me that there are not as many immolating the Turk Murphy style as Turk’s book has not been released. Anyone wanting to play his arrangements pretty much have to copy them out themselves from the many Murphy recordings.

Cheerio from London for two more days and then back to the Colonies.

--Bob Ringwald