[Dixielandjazz] Sit-ins

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Tue May 7 04:29:49 PDT 2013

Personally, I never, never, never ask to sit in and usually decline when asked.

I played piano for a living for many years. The last thing I want to do is play. I am there to listen.

However, in about 1986 or so when I was visiting Sydney, Bob Barnard asked me to sit in. I don’t know why he asked, but I did.

For the most part, I don’t let musicians sit in with my band unless they are a very, very good player. For instance, when John or Bill Allred, Jon-Eric Kellso, Allan Vache, Dan Levinson, etc come in, of course I would ask them to sit in. But as a rule I don’t like sit-ins in an organized band.

Cheerio from jolly ol’ London.

-Bob Ringwald