[Dixielandjazz] Sitting in (was Dixielandjazz Digest, Vol 125, Issue 5)

Larry Garrett lrg4003 at aol.com
Mon May 6 21:02:46 PDT 2013

Thanks Bill, I totally respect your opinion and that's why I put it out there.  I suspect that it (the invite to sit in) varies not only by band, situation and venue. but also culturally.  Having had bands and sat in with bands it's all a little dicey---at least until you play and then it changes depending on whether or not you can hold your own.  I'm always cautious about showing up with a horn when there's a clarinet in the band and usually stay away.   But these days, with band downsizing a bit I find that often there is a smaller trad configuration with either a lead trumpet or a lead clarinet but not always both.

I also suspect that the last set can be the biggest or the least important depending on the hour, the number of people in the audience and the level of inebriation.

Larry Garrett
KC Clarinet