[Dixielandjazz] Bob Byler update----

Norman Vickers nvickers1 at cox.net
Fri May 3 06:31:04 PDT 2013

To:  DJML & Musicians and Jazzfans list

From:  Bob and Ruth Byler via Norman Vickers

Many on both lists know and love jazz journalist/
photographer/author/teacher Bob Byler.  He's contributed stories and photos
for  late  and still-mourned Mississippi Rag and  The American Rag.  He was
founding member of Jazz Photographers association and a charter member of
Jazz Journalists Association.

We are pleased that he's improving.

For those interested in further clinical details, read on.   Otherwise,
rejoice with Bob and Ruth that they're both on the mend.

Norman

>From Bob & Ruth Byler:

MEDICAL REPORT FROM BOB & RUTH BYLER, VENICE, FL - April 2013

          "Survivor Bob" is doing well after surgeries for a tumor on his
bladder and colon/intestinal infections the week before Christmas.  Good
news is that no cancer was found.  Sections of colon & intestines were
removed and infection flushed out in a 4-hour operation.  He has a
cholostomy bag, but doesn't need a walker or oxygen tank.  Full recovery is
day-by-day for up to six months.  He does light yard work, shoots pool and
works on music archives as time & energy permit.  He isn't going out much,
but still dances with Ruth to favorite bands.

          The G-I surgery took four hours, and Bob was in the Venice
hospital, intensive care unit and a Sarasota rehab center for 35 days (Dec.
19 to Jan. 24). He doesn't recall much from earlier weeks when he was
sedated.  But he is now free of pain from diverticulitis attacks or other
infection he endured in late summer and fall.   Thanks to all the medical
people, good friends & family.  Daughter Diane from Wisconsin helped
medicate Bob in the hospital & obtain needed information.

          He also had day-long out-patient surgery for a small melanoma
skin cancer on April 3.  Lab tests show it had not spread to lymph nodes.
He's had dozens of less-serious skin cancers removed in the past 35 years,
thanks to lots of sun before its damage was known.

          Ruth also had a small breast cancer removed in out-patient surgery
in December.  It hadn't spread, and no radiation or further treatment is
needed.   She watches her diet and tests for sugar since diabetes was
diagnosed last year.  It hasn't slowed that go-go girl down, and she's a
"superwoman" in helping Bob meet his needs.

          Aren't we lucky to still enjoy most activities in our 80's?  We've
eliminated long car travel & quit bowling last fall but may resume it.  We
look forward to a satisfactory quality-of-life in more good years.

Thanks to all for great moral support.  We'll know better how well our
recoveries have progressed by about August or September.  Cheers!!

--end--