[Dixielandjazz] Paul Whiteman

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Thu Mar 28 19:42:47 PDT 2013

This from Sacramento broadcaster Nick Dragos who, for some reason chooses not to belong to an email list.

*******

You know, Bob.......
I always felt Whiteman got a bum deal from jazz fans, especially those who have an
orgasm every time they
heard a Bix solo......
Like it or not, Whiteman helped popularize jazz, introduced both Bing Crosby & Mildred
Bailey to national audiences,
gave Bix, Tram and several other excellent jazz men high paying jobs, and didn't
exactly hurt George Gershwin when he
introduced "Rhapsody In Blue".  Whiteman may not have been "The King Of Jazz", but
he could easily lay claim to the
title "King Of Pop Music" for the entire decade of the 1920's.
Let us also not forget that Whiteman gave Jack Teagarden a featured role for half
a decade in the 1930's - probably
the most solid financial footing of Jack's career.
Regards,
Dragos