[Dixielandjazz] FW: The Nazi’s 10 Control-Freak Rules for Jazz Performers: A Strange List from World War II | Open Culture

Norman Vickers nvickers1 at cox.net
Thu Mar 28 07:19:13 PDT 2013

To:  DJML and Musicians and Jazzfans list, Pensacola Mencken list

From: Norman Vickers

Pensacola jazzfan Mike Lynch has uncovered another essay.  See his comment and connect to the link.

Recall, too, that there was the famous essay in Etude Magazine ( classical music magazine which was almost required reading for music teachers) in the 1920s which deplored  ragtime and jazz.  This statement was also endorsed by the American Federation of Musicians.

And for the H. L.  Mencken fans, Mencken was  anti-jazz.  He, himself, played second piano in his Saturday Night Club group.  They had physicians from Johns Hopkins and music teachers from Peabody Conservatory as part of that group.  Playing first piano was America’s first professional medical illustrator, also from Johns Hopkins.