[Dixielandjazz] Unions

♫ Sharp Bill - - B# ♫ A1tradtrmpt at att.net
Tue Mar 26 07:02:25 PDT 2013

Unions probably served a purpose at getting musicians decent wages in certain situations, especially in big cities for theatrical productions, and  for symphony work, but they sure liked to take a nice cut from the working stiff doing the small gigs, like playing in a church, or Saturday gigs at one of the dead-animal societies (Elks, Moose, Lions clubs).

It has recently occurred to me ( and maybe one of you know about this) that part of our dues went towards a retirement fund, and something for funeral expenses.  For people like myself who only belonged for 6-7 years, probably 40-45 years ago, this money probably languishes in a fund somewhere and I might be able to claim a very small pittance of some sort.

♫Sharp, William
When people find out my last name, they often say, "Oh, really?  I never would have guessed."