[Dixielandjazz] When 'Jazz' Was a Dirty Word - March 9, 2013

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Mon Mar 11 15:20:56 PDT 2013

This article brings back memories!
In 1959, Louis Armstrong played at the Mann Auditorium in Tel-Aviv.
But in Hebrew, the auditorium is called "Heyhal Hatarbut" - the
Plalace (or Temple) of Culture.
The day after the first concert, the Polish language Israeli daily
carried an article "Palace, aren't you sorry?" (a take-off on a Polish
folk song), in which Dr. Herzl Rozenblum berated the auditorium for
housin a concert which included "lyrical outbursts of drums," (quoting
from memory), etc.  That - in the days when Armstron was already
recognized worldwide and played the most prestigious venues in Europe
and America!
Cheers