[Dixielandjazz] March 10, 2013: Pete Christlieb & Linda Small at Jazz Sunday - swingin'!

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Fri Mar 8 13:17:10 PST 2013

Regarding the STJS (Sacramento Traditional Jazz Society)’s guest stars for March 10, Marek wrote:
> Hardly qualifying as Dixieland or swing!
Oh really? Have you heard them play Dixieland or Swing?
Pete played in the Doc Severson Tonight Show band for 20 years.
John Bambridge played in the same band for 22 years. He played alto sax but was a great Dixieland/Trad player having worked at one time with Jack Teagarden. john used to sub in my band all of the time.
Just because Pete and wife are more known for playing more modern music, doesn’t mean they can’t play Dixieland.
The great modern trumpet player Jack Sheldon used to sit in with my band and was a great Dixieland player.
I play a lot of different styles of music as a lot of professional musicians do. Just because you might hear me playing some more modern style of Jazz certainly doesn’t mean that I can’t play Dixieland.
Type-casting musicians is a common mistake that non-musicians/listeners make. The same as type-casting actors.
Ease up Marek.
--Bob Ringwald
The world’s 98 greatest piano player