[Dixielandjazz] Happy Birthday Dick Hyman--

Norman Vickers nvickers1 at cox.net
Fri Mar 8 08:36:11 PST 2013

To:  djml and musicians& jazzfans
From:  norman

Dick Hyman was born in 1927, today March 8 is his birthday.  Here's a nice
video and brief summary of his career.
However, summary didn't mention his friendship with Woody Allen and
performance on soundtrack of many of Allen's movies.  Neither did it mention
that he'd written the musical score to the movie "Moonstruck."
I wasn't aware, however, of Hyman's early training.  Hyman has been called a
"pianistic chameleon" because of his ability to play many jazz styles with
equal facility.

I've seen him many times at jazz parties.  He was a regular attendee of the
Dick Gibson  Labor-day weekend parties in Colorado when I attended 85-93 (
when Gibson shut it down after 30 years)  When Hal Davis, New York publicist
and jazzfan moved to Sarasota on retirement, he recruited various of his
jazz friends to move nearby.  Among others were Dick Hyman and drummer Bobby
Rosengarden.  Hyman was also a regular at  Mat Domber's Arbors Records jazz
events.  That January event was cancelled by the family following Mat's
death from metastatic lung cancer.

So-- Happy birthday Dick.  Click the link below for the video and text.

From: jazztv at aweber.com [mailto:jazztv at aweber.com] On Behalf Of Jazz on the
Tube

Subject: Happy Birthday Dick Hyman

Dick Hyman is a pianist